From: Nate Lowe [mailto:nlowe79@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:34 PM
To: julie@menloparkrandd.com
Cc: Scirocco List
Subject: SPAM-LOW: Re: my mk1 won't start

I plan on doing that first since I'm really hoping that's all it is. I'll
probably just clean and crimp all the connections to the starter and
solenoid to be sure I didn't miss anything.

To address your suggestions in case that doesn't work though.
I'll check voltages at all the wires running to the solenoid and the
starter. I'm assuming the fat one direct to the starter from the pos battery
terminal should be 12V (obviously) and the others should be what? The
Bentley says 7V for terminal 50, I'm assuming that's the quick connect on
the solenoid. If cleaning the connections doesn't work I'll check the
voltages and report back.
Also, is
this<http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Scirocco/EngineElectrical/197
/1>the
permanent magnet starter you're reccommending? I'm sure it's nice, but for
$142.22+shipping I'll definately try and rule out wiring first ;)

I'm going to be away for the rest of the weekend and can't keep working on
the car, but at least I know a couple ways to get it started and get me to
work on Monday. I'll clean things up and check voltages if necessary then
and report back. Thanks for all the help!
Nate