my mk1 won't start

No, it means that the solenoid just isn't getting enough juice or its clogged. Check the voltage at the connector to the starter. That wire comes direct from the switch on the steering column.
I tried the hot start relay (the main wire to the relay with a wire from the battery direct), but it was the starter.
Take it out and have it tested. Becha its bad. Call Mark & Dave and get the permanent magnet type. REALLY big difference!

good luck!