From: Nate Lowe [mailto:nlowe79@gmail.com]
Sent: July 6, 2006 6:47 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: my mk1 won't start

Help!
My car won't start under its own power. When I turn the key to the start
position, all the lights come on nice and bright and the voltmeter reads
12V, nothing else happens. No clicks, no starter spinning, nothing. I got it
to start at work by getting a couple guys to push my and then dumping the
clutch. It ran fine after that, but as soon as I shut it off at my apartment
the same thing happened when I tried to start it again.

I did some searching in my repair manuals, and it looks like it's either the
solenoid, the ignition switch, or the wiring between the two. I'm supposed
to bridge starter terminals 30 and 50, but I'm not sure where exactly those
are.

Any other ideas for things to check if this doesn't work are also welcome.
TIA
Nate