84.5 wolfsburg problems

On Jul 1, 2006, at 3:11 PM, matt wrote:

> While driving home this morning  my 84.5 8v seemed to be running
> fine. About a mile from my house it started to sputter, lose power
> and then died. After a few minutes it finally started again and i
> managed to get it home bucking and sputtering the whole way. It
> didn't matter what gear i was in the car wouldn't rev or go more
> than about 30 mph. After i got home i shut it off and tried to
> start it again. it is very hard to start. sputtering and bucking
> while cranking. the strange thing is once you get it started it
> seems to run fine.  In neutral i can let it idle and it revs no
> problem but when i actually try to drive, it sputters. all the fuel
> pumps seem to be running although the transfer pump seems much
> quiter than normal. It was always seemed very loud. it is the
> dreaded vdo transfer pump but it's less than a year old.  i tried
> to different fuel pump relays with no changes. I'm just looking for
> any insight before i really start diving into it tomorrow.

That's odd, because when I owned the car, I changed the fuel pumps.
I KNOW I did the main pump, because it did to me what it did to you.
I can't remember if I did the transfer pump or not.

At least the transfer pump is cheaper and easier to change.  GL!

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       2006 Golf GLS                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 88 Scirocco  16V              |