Diesel crank in a 16v???

Is there a chance that someone would and could put a diesel crank in a 16v
(1.8 flavor)?  If so, the block would have to be line-bored correct?  An
rather then the crank bearing being .20 they might need to be about .25?

I'm asking because the rocco the wife picked up had a diesel starter in it
that died over the course of the day.  No biggie, I replaced it with a
standard sarter that I had layin around.  However, it seems the the starter
(which was in perfect working order when I removed it from a car) seems to
have trouble turning the engine the first few revolutions.  It doesn't seem
like a power (electricity) issue as the cables to ground and to the starter
are about 4 guage.  Not as beefy as I normally go, but pretty damn close.
The battery is only 4 months old and has more then enough CCA's.

So I wondered that if maybe someone tossed a diesel crank in the car at some
point, which boosted the compression (i'm guessing around 11.0:1) so they
added the diesel starter to help compensate.?

Is this possible?  An if so, why might they have done it.  The cars power
feels pretty good, but it's nothing major over my worn out 16v rocco with
bad motor mounts, cracked exhaust and 300k miles.

Anyway, just curious if I could be onto something or if I'm smoking crack.

William S.