Fuel Pump Failure

Ron Bunch wrote:
> Wasn't paying attention and my 86 8V ran out of fuel.
> Topped it off with the plastic reserve then added another
> 7 gallons. Half hour later, it died. Lifting the CIS sensor
> plate tells me there is no system pressure. Odds are, after
> 300,000 plus miles, I fried at least one of the pumps.

I've run out of gas a WHOLE BUNCH of times (4x in the Cali so far in 11
months) and never pumps or relays in any of my cars. Diesels are a PITA to
prime again and the 10.6 gallon tanks without a transfer pump often need
more then my usual 16 oz bottle of gas to get going again. I'm not saying it
is impossible that something got blown up, but it has never happened to me.

-Marc

'83 Volkswagen Scirocco California Edition
'84 Volkswagen GTI Pickup Truck
'87 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v