WTB: MK1 Roc (shell is the only important thing)

On 2:14:43 pm 01/24/06 Cory Langford <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:
> I'd actually be interested in hearing from anyone in Canada that has
> imported cars.  I have heard many stories of these absolutely rust
> free VWs coming from Arizona, etc :)

I've brought two up here (Klaus and the Cabby), it took some prior
planning, but that was mainly due to the distance involved. Unless things
have changed, the US customs will want a copy of the ownership 72 hours
proir, to clear it for export, and since mine both ran, I drove across and
they verified a few things and applied the all important stamp, (their
limited hours of operation were a pain though) and then the Canadain
Customs collected some taxes, and then it was the usual safety and ETest
crap, another round of taxes and fees at the local office, and that was it.
I had them both insured before the trip, (ins. co. just needs the VIN)and
got Ohio temp tags for both of them which gave me an additonal thirty days
to get them saftied and such. Ohio requires that a notary signs the title,
so check into that in the state you purchase from. That actually made it a
bit easier, as there is also a declared value on the title, it eases the
assessment of tax at the border. That notary stuff reminded me a lot of
signing the register at a wedding, didn't help that I did it at Cincy and
then went out to eat with a bunch of Roccoholics.

Anyway, that's it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another from the states, but
I sure don't need another car! It's a lot tougher to export from Canada,
I've been involved in one of those, and it went fine too. That was Montreal
Marc's car which ended up at Daun's.

That's about it, HTH,
Cathy