2008 scirocco

They have done that because the older cars lasted longer, we are proof of
that. Oh sure, 20-year-old electrics leave something to be desired
occassionally, but on the whole, these cars last. VW, nor any other
manufacturer can make any money if they make products that last longer than
average (or at least that is what they believe). Even Mercedes has become
aware of this, and is attempting to get into the cheaper ends of the
markets. However, both Mercedes and VW are forgetting something; what got
them to be highly-prized cars in the first place. For Mercedes, it is a
luxury car that won't quit (just got speak to nearly any owner of the ML
series psuedo-SUVs and see how often they do just that), and for VW, it was
an inexpenisve car that did not skimp on quality nor driveability. They
kept one of those, can you guess which one?

I know I am preaching to the converted, speaking on VWs growing pains.
Unfortunately, it is not just VW who has lost the faith. Cars are now
appliances, at least most are. Cherish what was once VW, and don't let the
dream die completely...

David

*burning soapbox*

  Did we not talk about the "soulness" of new vehicles some recent time ago?
  The analogy of cars being  more like appliances becomes so real when thinking about the new stuff. I am biased by the fact that I can not really afford a new car, but I have tried embrassing some of the new models and I time and time again keep looking at the past as my inspiration for what has some sorta soul in a car.

  El T

Yahoo! Photos