4K comments

They might have been on a rocco for
> a certain year - that Wolfie might have been stock or
> it could have been custom.

My 8V has a 4K from an 84 Wolfie, and according to the .org gear chart, you
can find the 4K in the following junkyard jewels:
10/83-2/84 Jetta, 8/82-7/83 Bun-bun, 8/83-6/84 Rocco. The scirocco.org site
has this cool chart with all that gear stuff on it, not a bad thing to
print and toss in the Bentley....and the code is easy enough to see, it's
stamped on the bottom of the bell housing with the date of birth.

> You can also go with a 2H and that is a 90mm drive
> flange transmission.  Great for the Mk1 if you are
> running 90mm flanges.  If you're doing highway driving
> much, you might really want to get the taller fifth
> gear for either the 4K or 2H.

4K is pretty high revving on the highway, a .80 fifth solves that (
essentially what my frankentranny 16V has) But the chart will help you
compare what you have with the others, it'll give all the other data like
flange size too.
Have fun, for mine, I'm liking the close ratio and 3.94 finals.