What transmission would YOU recommend?

     Alright, so my 81' Scirocco just proved itself to me like it took a lickin' and kept on tickin' so to speak, with a 1600mile (round) road trip from Atlanta to Tulsa Oklahoma. The only major problem was the transmission lost 5th gear during the trip to OK. I was a dumb-ass about it; assuming that because it has been driving ok up until now, that the trans. oil didn't need to be checked b4 the trip. It was a pint low after the fact. So anyways here I am with a 4-speed Scirocco that has a nice, clean de-carbon'd engine, but a not so clean (sounding) transmission. I want to just get a replacement to keep it simple, but here's my delema...

      I am for sure going to do an ABA 8v swap soon, because #1.) I like the simplicity of the job and 2.) I will probably do a FI of some sort, but probably not turbo unless someone convinces me otherwise. This swap goal is set for late spring, or summer 06' so what I was wondering what transmission would be best for my requirements. Is there a trans out there that is good for both engines? Will I have to get the exact same trans. for the stock Scirocco engine, then a different one for the ABA? Tell me what you'd recommend that I do.

      I'm sure most of you are like "who is this guy, and like where did he come from?" but I was just looking for a little word from the wise. Heh heh, ask Kirsten she knows me... sorta. Thanks for any input in advance.
                                                                                                           -A. Carroll

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
 Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!