3A vs 3A block

First of all a knock sensor ignition is not "necessary". It may be
nice, but not necessary. Course if you want to dick around and crank
in a whole lot of ignition advance for no particular reason, then it
may be viewed as necessary.

If you do use a KS ignition then the knock box from a 3A, HT, RD is
preferable to the 16V box simply because the advance curves are
different between the 8V and 16V engines. Might as well get the
advance curve that suits your engine.

If the 3A came with Motronic, it's sort of irrelevant. It uses a CIS
system so you can just plug in your stock injectors and use your stock
CIS system, whatever is currently in your car. There is nothing
particular about the 3A that demands you convert. There is one notable
difference and that is the injectors are in the intake manifold on the
3A, so if you use the 3A head you need to use the 3A manifold.

The 3A block/head combination stock is 10.5. All the 8V heads have a
29cc combustion chamber volume, so swapping heads and blocks around
will always net you the CR of the block. 8.5 for the 3A is simply not
true.
Dan