2008 scirocco

<snip Marc>
> I have to more-or-less agree, it's not a bad looking car. But like
> everyone else, I worry that it will be an overweight pig.  It needs to
> be kept light, SIMPLE, and perhaps take a few more styling cues from
> the original.

I've given up on light in a mass produced coupe. I'd settle for small. For
the foreseeable future stronger more rigid frames, airbags, stereos, sound
deadening, and a zillion other features are all 'must-haves' and no big
automaker will remove any of these. However, there is no reason to make cars
as big as they are today.

<more snip>

This is why I lust after roadsters more then coupes these days. I will not
even allow myself to sit in a Lotus Elise because I may not get out of it!
<end snip>

I'm with you on this.  I had the chance to test drive an Elise, but I
passed.  I probably would have spent the money.  I think the true successor
to the Scirocco would be the Lotus Exige:

<http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051212/FREE/51211008&S
earchID=73232184690840>

1.8L engine, around 2000 lbs, non-convertible, diminutive size, simple
performance, no unnecessary go-gahs, and more expensive when new than more
practical, less enthusiast oriented cars.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v