From: scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org] On
Behalf Of Allyn
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:31 PM
To: 'Mark F.'; 'Scirocco List'
Subject: RE: Aaaarrrrrrggghhhh...

Mark,

> Had it all torqued up, and flywheel bolted to it,
> before realizing I forgot to install the pushrod plate dealie...
> F**K!!!  So, off came the flywheel.  Put the mess all
> together AGAIN, and prepped the tranny to reinstall...

You're not alone. Luckily we both didn't get to the point of having the
trans
bolted up before noticing it, eh?

> It turns out the 210 mm clutch disc I had on the shelf was
> for a smaller splined shaft tranny...  I assumed that all
> 210mm 020 8v discs were the same, but I guess I was wrong...
> The tranny is a DFQ 020 from a 98 Jetta.  Anyone confirm this
> for me?  (I don't have ETKA installed on this computer)...

DFQ has 24mm input shaft splines, thus requiring a "16V" style clutch disc.

> The clutch
> still slips, even after a long drive with several clutch-slip
> heat cycles.  SO, I now have to do the whole thing over again
> tomorrow...  We're going to see how fast we can do the job...

If you are not in a terrible hurry to do the job, I'd give that clutch
another
coulpe of days to see if it improves. I shot Dave Winchells disc with brake
cleaner to get the buildup off of it and it did the same slipping, but went
away
after a week or two of driving. Perhaps Dave can pipe in with a better data
point. In the end, you may not need to crack it all open again, at least not
for
a while.

> Mark - greasy and pissed...
> 75