This is getting stupid ridiculous.

Craig,

> The sound does wind down as the car slows, but not at the
> same rate.  If that makes any sense.  It's especially
> noticable when the clutch pedal is pushed in.  Almost sounds
> like a freewheel on a bike.  I can also "feel" it in the
> floor board near the gas pedal.

Hmm, I'd check the rear area of the tranny. You could have (worst case)
something bouncing around in the housing, possibly the onset of SMS. Tranny
vibrations conduct directly to the center footwell area (right by your gas
pedal). The good news is that trannies are not hard to come by.

> I'm not too worried about the sputtering, as I can fix that
> this weekend.
> It's just this car hasn't needed major work in the 14 years
> I've had it, now
> all of a sudden it's coming apart at the seams!

Sweet.

> Alright Chief, I'll take the hint and stop whining about the
> cost and keep
> it Scirocco oriented.

Oh come now, it was more like friendly ribbing :)

> I think I'm going to tear it
> completely down, rip out
> it's guts, remove the rear seat, fabricate a way to mount a
> 2000 Audi S4
> bi-turbo engine in the back, attach it to a Quattro system,
> Reiger GTO body
> kit modified to let the new engine breath (Alpine White, of course),
> coilovers, custom made wheels, satellite radio (no nav
> system, as that's for
> people who get lost), slap in a Corrado dash, new front
> seats, carbon fiber
> hood, power everything including the sunroof (except
> steering), big brake
> upgrade kit, and brand new window rubber to fix that damn
> leak...again.
> Anyone want to help build this beast?

How close are you?

> So I'm talking crazy.  Where's my cutting torch?  Some S4
> owner is going to
> be surprised in the morning!!!!

Rofl! Not crazy at all, just ask Anson, or look in Dave Winchells attic, or look
in my garage...
http://www.malventano.com/scirocco/twin/cam/index.htm

There would be more progress, but the last 5 months or so of my life has been
consumed by attempting to correct some insane course of events that resulted in
an NJP that should have never happened (email me direct if you're willing to
give me some adivice on that, btw).

Al