I'm gonna do my first clutch this weekend...

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:32:01 -0500, Timbo <timjmcconnell@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm gonna do it with a floor jack / cross brace method.

I've done it with a large block of wood under the oil pan to hold the
motor in position.  I put the jack under the trans, disconnected all
the mounts (except the passenger side) and allowed the whole assembly
to pivot down about an inch and a half at the drivers end, which is
about the angle it needs to be at for easy re-assembly.  Then I cut
and shimmed the wood block under the oil pan to hold the motor in that
position.  The problem you may encounter with hanging the motor by a
cross brace is that it's hard to tell if the motor (especially after
you pull the trans off and remove the weight) will end up at the
proper angle that makes the re-assembly easy.

I've done it with and without the alignment tool, but it's easier if
you have it.  Use new bolts and Loctite.  If your rear seal is
leaking, even a little, do it now. YMMV  Have fun.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9