Suspension Geeks: Strut mount question

On 2/23/06, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure why this is even on the table for the H & R coilovers though.
> The coilovers completely replace the stock strut housing. I'd have to assume
> that they'd be engineered to have sufficient travel bearing in mind the
> amount of drop they provide. There are several guys on the list with H & R
> coilovers. What's the scoop on this?
> Dan

The H&R coilovers do have a good amount of travel, but the problem I have
with them is that with the car at the height I have it at all of the travel
seems to be down with very little up. This makes for a harsher ride than I'd
expect with coilovers.
I think the best way to fix this would be just what Grant was thinking in
the first place and position the upper mount higher than stock. That would
allow the coilovers to be adjusted "wider" for more spring travel. The only
problem I'd see here is if you got carried away and ended up moving the
mount too high.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to visually tell the difference
between the "ultra-low" H&Rs and the and the plain vanilla H&Rs?