Was:Air/Fuel for CIS/CIS-E, now technotes

Okay, here are some odds and ends I had from when I was trying to pass
ETest/ exploring the world of mixture...

>From the two Bosch books: (and these should likely get a proper
referencing, I can send you that if you want it):
"Lambda sensors have a voltage output that rises from near zero in the
absence of oxygen in the engine exhaust to a bit less than one volt when
small traces are present, ...The sensor only works when hot,however . (
being essentially inoperative below 300C...some senosrs have an interanl
heating element to bring it on-line as quickly as possible.)" (HP Books)

"The Lambda sensor consists of a zirconium oxide ceramic which becomes
conductive for oxygen ions at 600F (is this 300C???? anyways...)One part of
the ceramic is located in the exhaust stream while the other is exposed to
ambient oxygen. The surface of the ceramic is covered with a thin, gas
permeable layer if platinum...(when ambient and exhaust sides read equal,
no voltage, etc..) The Lambda sensor output voltage reads from 100mV to
900mV during normal engine operation....The Lambda sensor will very seldom
develope a defect. It is, however, very susceptible to contamination.
Common contaminants are tetraethyl lead, RTV silicone, and soot......."
(Motorbooks)

Now in my words:
Anyway, use a voltmeter, and the output voltage on a warmed up car should
be between 100 and 900mv and fluctuating (after elevating engine speed to
2000 rpm for a few minutes), and 450mV is stoichiometric (perfect for
complete combustion). Lower would be lean, higher would be rich, which is
always safer.
No voltage, and the puppy's dead or not connected. There are more
diagnostics in the book, bt I have to go to work....

Cathy