How to identify a Mk1 S

That brochure is funny - the picture is of '80 S's (both Alpine White
(alpinweiss) and Black (schwartz) were not offered in '81). The seat pattern
shown is for the '81 though only in Cosmos Silver and Cirrus Grey ones. The
Mars red came with the same stripe pattern but in greyscale.

Also, Gordy's observation about the woodgrain is actually the exact opposite.
There should be no woodgrain in the car and the dash should have no holes where
the wood grain strips go. Not that an S dash can't be swapped in mind you...ask
me how I know... :)

The only true way to tell is the options sticker or the paint code sticker both
of which should be in the trunk (though I don't know the S option code). The
paint code for the '81 S's is not shared w/ non-S's (not the case w/ the '80
S's). If it's as mint as you say, these sticker should probably still be there.
S's also came with carpet to cover the rear wheel wells.

HTH, JT