Pics of the scirocco and a question about a hose

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:51:38 -0800, Jacob Hawes
<gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:

>The question is about the loose hose picture. What is that hose? The
>yellow one with the black sleeve on it that looks like it should go to
>one of those two holes on that cylinder sticking off of the engine
>block. When I got the car it was like that.

The "cylinder sticking off of the engine" is a vacuum delay switch
with both nipples broken off.  It opens when the coolant temp reaches
a certain point and allows vacuum to pass through it.  Unless someone
has simply bypassed it and connected the source of the vacuum signal
to the destination (distributor advance?), you may have a vacuum leak.

On my car, that switch is used to prevent the distributor from using
the vacuum advance until the engine is warm.  Mine is mounted in the
line between the water pipe and the reservoir and there is a second
one nest to it, now unused, that was in the emissions plumbing.

http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/trans.jpg

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9