OT: Passat b4 transmissions..

So it word has gotten out around work that I am a vw guy.  One of the
teachers (I work in a school) has a 96 passat with the dreaded Auto
transmission.  She thinks it needs some work.
I am aware that that era passat has a lot of issues with the
transmission, but what can you tell me about it?  Does she just need
to have the fluid changed regularly to prevent any problems?  Or does
it likely need some special attention?

TIA

GP

--
Aronsons First Law
People who do crazy things are not necessarily crazy