bad idle

all the talk of the warm-up regulator leads me to ask about my own 16v
idle issue.

if the car's cold, it will start and run well for a few minutes, then
start to sputter and choke - it will usually die shortly thereafter,
unless i perform the dubious ritual of flooring the gas and blipping
the pedal to keep the tach at around 4-5k.

once the temp gauge levels off, i don't have the problem at all.

i'm assuming a sensor, since the airflow plate moves freely.  what
should i suspect, oh ye scirocco xperts on the list?

blake/

(also, i've decided to rebuild my tranny rather than buy a new one -
where can i source the bolt kit (for an A0N), seals, and possibly
gearing? i may see about visiting one of the listers who's bid to help
me out, but i'm not sure if Beast will make it out of the greater
Pittsburgh area)

--
"This mother****er is what we call an anomalous phenomenon, no s**t."
- Beauvoir, Count Zero