Hussein Executed

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark F. [mailto:mk1mark@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 10:59 AM
To: David Utley
Cc: Scirocco List
Subject: Re: Hussein Executed

On 12/30/06, David Utley <fahrvergnugen@cox.net> wrote:

> I value life, all life as well, which is why I support the death penalty.

Mark wrote:

I normally don't reply to the overabundance of OT/political crap on
the list, but that is the most retarded thing I've heard you say yet.
I can barely wrap my head around it...

---------------------------

You can't wrap your head around it, then how can you see fit to critique it?

You will notice I rarely post on OT topics, but I feel this one is too
important not to.

I wrote;
> To save lives, you occasionally have to take one.  And Saddam was the most
> fitting sacrifice I can think of.

Mark wrote:
So "sacrificing" Saddam will save lives and serve as a deterrent to
other fanatical leaders not to kill innocents?  IMHO that there is an
opinion born out of the thinking of your country's failed war on
crime.  Think the Islamic extremists overrunning Somalia are going to
change their ways because Saddam was executed?  Not a fucking
chance...

------------------------

Who said I thought his execution would serve as an example?  I believe it
saved lives by not giving him another chance at taking more, pure and
simple.  One could argue the chances of him escaping to do just that is
remote, but the sheer number of folks he killed to is justification enough
for me.

We all know the adage about opinions.  I would like to add that the
toleration of an opinion different to that of our own is a wise approach,
unless your opponent want grant you the same kindness.  I can't help but
believe this is the foundation of an equal exchange of ideas.  IOW, you
don't have to agree with me, but I would hope you would allow me to voice my
opinion as I have allowed you.  :-)

Cheers,
  David