VM Ware

Although I don't have direct experience with it, I do recall from a seminar I attended that they do act as separate machines and can network to/from each other, etc., so I would assume that what you'd like to do would work just fine.

  -=Mark
  '80 Scirocco
  '81 Rabbit Sportruck
  '00 Dasher Estate

Chris Bennett <scirocco16vr32@gmail.com> wrote:
  OK so got a new laptop from the company.

Traditionally they write all software inhouse and most of the software
doesn't play well with others. So you end up with a dual boot config
and usually you have to orphan something and/or uninstall and
reinstall different rev's of said software, depending on application.
Each rev IS stable. The end user never has to deal with two different
revisions--just the field service engineers. So I suggested a while
back that I could do this more efficiently with a better laptop using
VMware. Of course I was told that we don't do business that way and
what six months later here I am trying to do something with VMware
because now we DO business like that. Someone obviously had a
simultaneous idea or flat out took credit for mine... whichever at
this point I do not care.

VMware is a program that runs virtual machines. You create
"environments" to test software or in this case compartmentalize
software so that different rev's play nice with one another. So I
have VMware player(?) very much like Adobe Reader... you can view but
you can't create or change.

Since I have used VMware to run Vista in a window and linux in a
window, I have some experience but there are things that I don't
know...

Currently I have the HOST operating system running and four virtual
computers booted. (three xp and one server 2003) I can pause and
shut down the virtual PC's and reopen the shortcut and it was like I
never shut them down. From what I can tell I am using FIVE windows
licenses altogether.

Also from playing with the program it seems that the virtual machines
share resources with the host machine--like broadband connections.
>From what I have gathered it seems that you can surf the net in a
VMware environment and it doesn't pass cookies or history data to the
host machine. Is this true?

I have loaded up VMware 5.5 on my personal computer and have created a
virtual machine running XP Home. If I wanted to play a game or surf
the net, I am hoping that I can do that and isolate the host.

Thoughts? Suggestion?