lowering?

I personally think a loss of one of the larger coils at the top of the front
stock S2 spring will not harm anything.  You will loose about 3/4" between
the fender and the tire and still have plenty of travel for dampening.  But
you will also gain no improvement in your suspensions performance.  The cut
job would be only to make it look better getting rid of the reverse rake
affect.  A set of new replacement struts ($30 each) and bump stops ($15 set)
will keep you going for a while.  If you want better handling and to lower
your car correctly then buy performance springs and shocks all around which
is what I would recommend.  If you looked at these pictures before you can
see what a 1 loop front spring cut will do for your stance:
 *<*http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Gordy/
84scirocco/<ftp://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org:69/Gordy/84scirocco/>

Granted the car also looks better with the 16" rims but they have 40s on
them and the before picture it is shown with 13" rims with 70 series tires
so the overall diameter of the tires should be about the same.  I might have
more photos at home if you would like to see other angles.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 4