lowering?

My (less than advanced) point of view:

If you cut the springs, you'll loose some of the "progressiveness" of the
springs.  They will be lower and slightly stiffer, but with Sachs/Boge
Turbos, they'll be more prone to bounce and bottoming.  The bounce will be
due to the fact that the damping on the shocks isn't great enough to control
any oscillation that the springs might set up.

IMO, most people who lower their cars don't get stiff enough shocks and the
cars ride like ass.....or I should say: they don't buy shocks that are able
to control the compression/decompression of the springs.

I personally need 2 cars; one that is still as hell and handles like it's on
rails and another that handles well at all speeds but can also deal with
potholes and stuff.  The latter of the two is harder to achieve.

Most decent quality lowering springs are progressively wound, so they get
much stiffer after the inital inch or so of travel.  You'll need stiffer
shocks to compensate or you'll get bounce or bottoming.

As soon as I get an extra set of strut housings, I hope to cut the lower
spring perches and reweld them a conservative 1/2 to 3/4 inches lower.  This
will even out the stance of the car and hopefully still allow enough travel
without bottoming under normal conditions.

I'd suggest some 3/4" or so progressive lowering springs that have a near OE
rate, but I don't think they exist.

Jim