Causes for lowered gas preformance?

I was getting poor gas milage in my 79 and nothing I did seamed to make a
difference.  I was parked on a steep part of my driveway with a full tank
and noticed a wet spot on the concrete near the rear axle.  Sure enough I
had a small leak near the top of my tank that would only leak when fuel was
pushed to the upper rear of the tank.  Just pure luck I found the leak and
gas milage improved upon replacement.  Kind of obscure scenario but thought
I would share it.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 4