OT: Tivo

> Also, you can only watch recorded things on sets that are
> hooked up to the Tivo's output, or to another Tivo in the
> house.

There is pc based software that will emulate another Tivo, allowing content to be pulled across the network and onto the pc.  The
stream can then be reencoded and archived if wanted.

> Personally, I have used an ATI all-in-wonder video card with
> great success.

To get analog streams into the pc, I use the pass-through function of my dv camcorder.  Once on the pc, the dv stream can be
reencoded using a simplar process as a tivo stream.  Since I have a dish network dvr that doesn't have any sort of direct data link,
I dump video through the camcorder, to the laptop, across the lan, and to the server for batch recompression.

To get pc encoded video back out to the big screen for watching, I use a modded xbox with XBMC (xbox media center), which streams
the video directly from the network share.  It can also directly stream from replaytv units on the lan (but not tivo), as well as
streaming internet radio stations directly from the net.  Since the media center software itself requires little space, there is no
need to upgrade the hard drive, and therefore an xbox can be converted with a ~$35 mod chip.  I have two that are modded, and opted
to go all out on the main unit, installing a large drive, front panel lcd, and extra front panel IR sensor that allows on/off
switching from the standard xbox remote.  Combined with the component video and digital audio output capabilities of the xbox, a
fully modded xbox blows just about any other entertainment system component out of the water.

By the way, back to the original tivo topic, as far as I understand the HD units and any of the most recent gen units are not as
flexible in the hacking category, and I hear the whole commercial skip thing is crippled as well.

Hth
Al