  From: Todd Guse
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 08:07 PM
  Subject: mk 1 leaking on the fusebox

  I don't post here much but I read the forum a lot. My 79 (daily driver) mk1 is leaking water on the fusebox. I live in Olympia, WA and we've had hella rain. Tonite on the way home, this clicking noise started under the dash. I was turning in to the Safeway, and it died. Managed to roll into a parking space without having to push Helga. Thought it might be out of gas because it was low, but I put 2 gallons in and still no start. Called the towtruck, out 50 bucks (idiot me doesn't have AAA and drives a 27 year old car). The driver was very cool and backed it in the garage. I looked under the dash, water is dripping around all the relays and the fuses. Yanked the fuel pump relay...drip drip drip. PO included a spare 5 years ago when I bought the car and I located it in the toolbox. Plugged it in, and Helga behaved like the well treated pet she is and started. So I can go to work tomorrow, but the fuel pump relay will sit on my desk while I'm there if it's raining.  I've
   noticed water on the floor lately, and I know this problem has been brought up on this board before, but I can't remember what people did. The windshield is perfect except for one star that's getting fixed as soon as it's warm enough. I don't want to take it out. Does anyone know of a way to seal it without removing it? The car also leaks water in the footwell behind the driver's seat. There isn't any rust on this car and I don't want any. Helga sleeps in a garage but sits outside at work. Suggestions? For now it's a garbage bag on the windshield when I park at work...