Picked up my winter beater...

... but I probably shouldn't have.

The ad:

<http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2915739>

The body looked pretty decent on it (for a Canadian car anyways), so I
didn't think the underbody would be rotted.  I was wrong - the rockers
have a few holes, but the worst thing is the passenger side rear beam
attachment point is rotted pretty bad.  It was dark and cold, the
seller was late, we had to work on it for an hour to get it started,
and my friend who drove me out there had to get back home for a party
(the car was two and a half hours away) so I didn't check it over as
thoroughly as I should have.  I would have passed on it had I noticed
the rot...  In my defense I have never seen a Scirocco with a decent
body like this that had such severe rot underneath.

The exhaust is also toast (seller said it just needed a muffler), as
are the rear struts, front strut bearings, heater fan, shift
linkages/bushings, engine mounts, and the wheel bearings howl like a
banshee... The tach, fuel and temp gauges don't work, and the
windshield wiper blows any fuse under 30amps.   And to top it all off
the interior smells like a combination of cat piss and horse barn...

The one redeeming feature on the car is the non-wiper rear hatch:
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/no_wiper_hatch.jpg>
I've been looking for one for a while for a future "clean shaven" Mk2
project.  This car is a strange one though - it has the later two
front wiper system, large rear hatch spoiler, but has a full size
spare tire well.  Must have been built just before the 84 1/2 model
came out - using an early 84 chassis, and later 84 1/2+ parts...

The solid blue door cards (no fabric) would have been a nice find if
they were in better shape, but I may still be able to save them by
dying them black and filling some cracks.
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/door_cards.jpg>

Anyone know what these rear fender flares are from?
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/fender_flares.jpg>

Here's a shot of the car itself:
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/84Scirocco.jpg>

I'm almost afraid to dig deeper into the car in case I find more stuff
wrong with it...  Oh well, at least I have a parts car now...

Later,

Mark.
75
82