Brake lube

Hi, Cathy,

Current wisdom as far as I've heard is use silicone based grease
(similar to or the same as dielectric grease you'd use on plug wires,
clear colored) for metal to rubber contact (e.g. pins in rubber caliper
mount boots).  Use a molybdenum disulfide based synthetic grease (sold
in stores as synthetic brake grease, black in color) for metal to metal
contact (e.g. pads to the big "stop" bosses that hold the pads that the
caliper mounts to).  The thought is that grease other than silicone
based degrades rubber.  To be honest I have always used the black stuff
in both situations and never had a problem with the rubber degrading and
the black stuff seems to stay better.

John Gates