16v head gasket Q

Replies within....

--- "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Check to see if the head is warped.  You probably don't
> have a
> straight edge that's straight enough (is it too much to
> ask for a gay
> guy to own a "straight" tool? :D),

*Groan*

Brad's dad might, he's built several engines and has all
KINDS of tools.

 so an automotive
> machine shop can
> check it for you (and I doubt they'd charge you).  If you
> have an
> accurate straight edge, lay it across the head (in
> different ways) and
> try inserting feeler gauges to determine if your head is
> out or not.
> If some hacker PO/mechanic used a power tool to
> clean/prep the head at
> one time he may have rounded/damaged the surface of the
> head, so be
> sure to check the head right to the edges.

AFAIK, the head probably hadn't been off the engine until I
got it.  In thinking back, I can't honestly remember if we
(Jason C, Anson and Ben Harder) replaced the head gasket or
not when prepping to install the engine in the Scirocco.
It came from a Passat with 130k on it.

If you need to get it
> resurfaced
> make sure the shop has a modern "cutter" style resurfacer
> (vs. a stone
> tool).  Checking for "squareness" (which this list has in
> over-abundance :D) is also a good idea - and a good thing
> to do after
> you get it back from the shop.  If the head's been done
> before it may
> have been poorly resurfaced, so you want to make sure the
> shop
> compensated for any out-of-squareness from previous
> work...
>
> HTH,

It does Mark, thanks for the tips & pointers.  I've not
gotten to the head yet (intake manifolds were as far as I
got last night before being sucked into helping in fuel
tank removal on a Piper Cherokee) but I should get there
within the next few days.  Since the more I think about it
the less positive I am about what was done, the "right"
thing to do is pull the head and go over it.

I wonder what this is going to cost me....

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172