16v head gasket Q

Long story short, it looks like my head gasket on my 16v is
leaking oil down the back of the block at the passenger
side corner.

So the question is, do I just go and re-torque the head
bolts, or pull the head?  The head was off about 3 years
and probably as many thousand miles ago (if that,
truthfully.)  It's a stock 2.0 block & head.  I'm just
wondering if I didn't get it torqued properly, as it wasn't
long after install that I noticed the leak.  (I don't know
if it was leaking before.)

Opinions?  I'm part-way into disassembly.  If I do pull the
head, how can I check to make sure it's in good shape?  I'd
hate to put a new gasket on only to find the same problem
cropping up again.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172