Third in a series, no more chocolate, now ALTERNATORS!!!!

On 6:48 pm 08/28/06 Nate Mellom <doubt@inwave.com> wrote:
> Cathy, the VW special tool did the trick, the hood closures are
> adjusted, and now BOTH sides of my hood actually pop up now.
>
> But, of course, an open hood doesn't do me any good, as my alternator
> is seized.  A little history:
>
> Driving home through torrential rain Friday, my charge light comes
> on, and I smell burning rubber for a bit, figured I'd lost my
> alternator belt.  No biggie, got it home, got the hood open on
> Sunday, and yep, no belt.  Tried turning the alternator, and it's
> stuck.  I got channel locks on the pully, I was eventually able to
> get it loose, and now it spins freely, but the bearings sound super
> crispy, and there's a little play in the pully shaft.  I could throw
> a belt on it and see if it works, but I'm thinking my bearings froze
> up, because of rain (?), and if I put a belt on it, it won't last
> very long.
>
> Soooooo......
>
> Anyone have a reasonably priced 16v alternator (with A/C) out there
> in Scirocco land?  I got the Quantum out of storage, it's my current
> daily driver, but I'd like to get it fixed, and I can't justify
> parting with $130 for a new one, but I will if I need to.
>
> Thanks!
> Nate

Fucking cars eh? I usually opt for a rebuild, I have a guy that does them
for a decent price, but there's always something eh? (And I don't have a
good spare, sorry) I'm waiting for the day that I have to beat the shit out
of the one on the Cabby, it's the only way the thing is gonna come offa
there, and I'll SO enjoy it.....my hatred for that alternator is THAT deep.
I'll need a camcorder....

Cathy