Third in a series, no more chocolate, now ALTERNATORS!!!!

Cathy, the VW special tool did the trick, the hood closures are
adjusted, and now BOTH sides of my hood actually pop up now.

But, of course, an open hood doesn't do me any good, as my alternator is
seized.  A little history:

Driving home through torrential rain Friday, my charge light comes on,
and I smell burning rubber for a bit, figured I'd lost my alternator
belt.  No biggie, got it home, got the hood open on Sunday, and yep, no
belt.  Tried turning the alternator, and it's stuck.  I got channel
locks on the pully, I was eventually able to get it loose, and now it
spins freely, but the bearings sound super crispy, and there's a little
play in the pully shaft.  I could throw a belt on it and see if it
works, but I'm thinking my bearings froze up, because of rain (?), and
if I put a belt on it, it won't last very long.

Soooooo......

Anyone have a reasonably priced 16v alternator (with A/C) out there in
Scirocco land?  I got the Quantum out of storage, it's my current daily
driver, but I'd like to get it fixed, and I can't justify parting with
$130 for a new one, but I will if I need to.

Thanks!
Nate