radiator fan wiring harness swap

Foxx,
I'm did the same thing in my '81, it had a single speed fan (2 wire), I
replaced it with a dual speed (3 wire) out of a 16v.  I just used the 2
wires for the high speed on the fan (I figured high is better than low),
and ignored the low speed lead.  Jump the leads with 12v to see which is
which, I can't remember.  Early A1s don't have the relay, they rely on
the radiator fan switch to turn the fan on, and since it only has one
speed, it doesn't need to be controlled and directed, just on or off.
Nate