was:I guess Now: New 'Roc

I'm commenting before I read the list's opinions.
First- What did you expect? It isn't the 70's baby, and the days of simple
beauty are long gone. Other than the handful of us here who own and love
the originals, how big IS the market for what the general public perceives
as a German Chevette? Sorry to be so blunt, but not everyone loves the
angularity and pared down good looks of our cars. So to expect the new one
to resemble the old is just not gonna happen. VW's on a curve-fest, smooth
and rounded lines (and a big ugly mouth) are the identifiers of this
generation, why should the Scirocco be different?
Second- IROC??? WTF, and why is Chevy sleeping on this? Certainly they have
some legal right to the name, I just see Camaro. So I guess it's full
circle for me anyway, maybe it'll take the Firebird's place in the garage.
Next the Rabbit will have a Trams Am version with a flying Rabbit on the
hood.
Third- What of the weight??? Suspension? Throw me a bone here...I know it's
a concept, but if it pays any shred of homage to the Scirocco, that means
agility.
Fourth- I see some bright work and I want it painted black. Yep, a
judicious application of black or anthracite paint on that gaudy metal work
would go a long way towards putting this car in my driveway. If this were
an RX8 we'd think nothing of it, but this is a German car dammit. Or is it
Portugese? :)
Fifth- I'm gonna need a car, my "new car" is seven now. The new GTI doesn't
initially appeal to me either, but I've been told by every one who's been
near one that I need to try one and then cast an opinion. That in fact
they're really nice. So this one may be too.
I await the opinion of a fellow 16V owner who is there for the "Great
Unveiling" (lucky bitch), and a chance to see/drive one. I mean, what am I
gonna buy, the Newer New Beetle? If it has a happy engine and the handling
to support it, that's what counts. (and the price tag, of course)
I'll want to see one in the flesh. In a different colour....hopefully
they'll tone it down some.
Cathy