instrument cluster weirdness

Also, a couple of tips for anyone searching the archives in future:

Removing instrument cluster with MFA.  If the cluster has a long switch stalk protruding from the upper right corner it is best to remove the steering wheel first -- makes extracting the cluster a lot easier.  (In my case, it made it possible at all. :)   Once the speedo cable and the two 14-point connectors are disconnected, tilt the cluster forward and pull off the vacuum hose from the connection.  Slide the cluster on its pivots to the right, until the left pivot clears the keeper slot.  Pull the cluster up off of the keeper slots.  Then tilt the cluster forward onto its face, rotating it clockwise, until the switch stalk clears the edge of the dash opening. Then pull that side (the tach side) out first.  It was actually surprisingly easy, took all of ten minutes.

Leo