CIS gurus, please advise (tech)...

Allyn,
Brian H. just had a very similar problem. It turned out to be a
thermal expansion problem. The plate was probably centered when the
weather was cold. as the weather got hotter the plate expanded (round
== in all directions) and touched the side of the housing getting
stuck until it is sufficiently cold.

Try a re-alignment on the plate.

Brian