A few Q's

julie@menloparkrandd.com wrote:
> 1) The engine takes a few cranks to get it started. Cold start valve?
> Its timing is set at exactly 6 deg BTDC
>
> 2)The starter (some times) spins with out starting the car. It hits
> the fly wheel (god the sound hurts). 2 or 3 attempts then it will
> engage. Bad solenoid?

Make sure the electrical connections are good and the battery has good
power.

I haven't worked on these solenoids, but the shaft can get dirty so the
solenoid has trouble pushing the drive pinion gear all the way to the
ring gear. A cleanup may give you a few more years on the starter. (I
know the sound you are talking about. I had that happen on a brand X
car. It seems that it should not happen, because I think the drive
pinion is supposed to engage before the starter starts to spin.)

Chris