Turbo Build Advice Needed

I have a turbo, and I don't know whether it is suitable for any project I have ahead of me.

Things I would consider turbo-charging:

Scirocco 16v - I have a 2.0l 9a and a 2.0L AEG (MKIV 8 valve).  I also have a TDI crank that I may or may not use.

Mercedes:  My brother has a pair of '72 280 Coupes.  One is a parts car, but both ran and drove when purchased.  Single carb'd, but we might go fuelie.  I would likely use an ITB setup.  I don't really know anything about that engine, but it is an inline engine, so turbo manifold would be relatively easy.

I have a 4.25 Final Drive trans with a Quaife LSD.  I know that is probably going to turn out to be rediculous, but it will be entertaining.  I'm about 60% sure I'll back that down to a 3.94 or something in the long run.

The turbo I have is a Garrett 60-1 with a single ball bearing.  It has a .81 exhaust side and I forget the other specs.  It has separate water and oil passeges.  I basically know only what I have been told about this turbo.  It seems to have no problems with it (freeplay minimal, turns smoothly).  The guy who gave it to me says he could swap the .81 exhaust snail for a .57 and that would make it perfect for a Scirocco.

I'm not looking to blow anything up.  If I had a turbo car, the goal would be to make the turbo as transparent as possible.  I'm going for a high-strung daily drive.  What should I do with my newfound turbo?  Ideally I would sell it and buy the turbo I want, but the guy who gave it to me would probably be offended if I didn't use it myself, since he gave it to me expecting me to make something with it. If he hadn't given it to me I probably wouldn't even consider making a turbo car for my own use.

I've considered just putting together a nice running turbo/engine/fuel management setup and selling it, but I probably wouldn't get anything for it.

Basic questions:  How right or wrong is this turbo for my scirocco?

What are better turbos for what I'm doing?  Does anyone have a project this turbo would be perfect for that might want to do some swapping?

Brian

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.