Fuse Boxes are they all created equal?

Ok so the obvious answer to the a subject line question would be no...Of course not you dumb schmuck......But really is there any cross over or over lapping. Any room for improvement?

  As some of you may now I recently got stuck in a Tunnel in I-895 here in Baltimore. It was not a pleasant surprise!!. To say the least I have been scared for ever. Ergo my post.

  Background:

  1982 Scirocco converted from AT to 5Sp.
  Ceramic type fuses
  passed issues with heat soak and killing over supposedly fixed, by way of new distributor

  Symptoms:

  After an undefined amount of time my car quits running. Literally quits. I believe the problem to be electrical. Wire resistance or grounding at the fuse box. It is something that involves the harness from the coil back. I say it is in the fuse box because after giggling it a bit most of those issues are solved.

  The coil checks out as when it does get current, I get spark and all the nice stuff that one can get from that..

  The fuel pump is fairly new maybe 2 yrs at the most, so is the relay for the pump maybe 1 year old.

  Questions:

   Can the Bayonnet type fuse box be used instead of the ceramic fuse type? What would a new fuse box for an 82 have? Does anyone have one free to go to a good home? (ie. mine)

  TIA,

  El Tony