Rear Calipers - What to do?

As the others have said, you can shop around at a Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS) and get some with a warranty.  Swapping calipers is not a particularly hard job, so doing them yourself will certainly help the budget.  If you put the same type of calipers back on, you will be replacing them soon thereafter.

The other basic options are to use better calipers.  Virtually any VW rear caliper will fit.  A1 chassis calipers (like ours) fail quickly.  A2 and A3 calipers bolt right up on the oppositte side.  The bleeders face down, which is not a problem at all.  A4 calipers are supposed to be even better after about '99 - the earliest ones had trouble according to one person I heard from.  I used A4 calipers on mine.  They are aluminum and work very well.

I used brake adaptor hoses from ECS Tuning.  These are great and cost $45 for the pair.  Now someone has found that the short flexible lines from a B5 Passat (i.e. 98 to '95) work, too.  Those are $66 for a pair of new ones.  You can probably find junkyard examples for a few bucks.

Try VW vortex for people parting out the cars you want stuff from.

Brian

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.