3 shift linkage upgrades, my installation/driving impressions (long)

The stock joints in mine, with new plastic ends, had zero free-play.  Maybe my balls were not as worn as what you've dealt with?
All the stock bushings would go south within a few thousand miles, however, even when the ball joints were still tight.

larry
sandiego16v
  I completely disagree that "Spherical rod end linkage is very little  improvement over new stock
  plastic ball-in-socket pivots, since there is  little/no play in the stock setup."
  I've never seen little/no play in the stock setup.