About digital images (mine, on the .org site)

Hi, and thanks to whoever posted my pictures for me, I finally took a look
to see how to post them, and there they were. (Allyn? Brett? Thanks!)

But here's the question. I still obviously am doing something really wrong,
they all look like someone smeared butter on my lens, and I know that the
scans/ straight from the camera images were better than that, at least they
were on my screen. So what did I do wrong? Are they in the wrong file type
or something? (I know that the site reduces the size some, but even calling
up the full size image doesn't give me the clarity I'd like, those are
really pixelly, and what I had on disc was not) I really don't do digital
darkroom well, so if someone wants to tell me what happened to the
sharpness, off list, that would be super. I'm sure it's something I did
when I saved/burned the original images, but I have no idea what.
cathy