looking for parts for an 88 16V

There's really no such thing as used front wheel bearings for an A1.  You'll
need new ones.
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=171407625D
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=171498625D

Probably a good idea to get 1 bearing and 1 bearing kit, so you have some
extra hardware in case you need it.