An update on the stupid brakes I haven't gotten around to

Last we left our lazy but still heroic rocco owner (really, you must be
a hero to own a scirocco): the front brakes and suspension was complete
and the rear drums with one broken e-brake cable were being a nuisance.
Skip to the last paragraph for the condensed version.

Ok, so I still need to replace the parking brake cables. The rear shoes
seemed to have enough meat on them to last a while longer. Following the
bentley (which I should check to make sure I didn't misread something
considering the way you guys reacted last time I mentioned this) I
pressed the brake pedal down with a drum off to make sure the shoes
moved evenly. I think this is where the parking brake, whatever it is
called, the cross bar that pushes the shoes out, slipped off of the
front shoe. There is also a tab that was connected to a light spring
that fell out.

Since then I have tried a couple of times to get that brake thing back
on and to take the whole thing apart to remove the brake cable but I
have not made any progress. I really need to sit down with the bentley
and see if I'm missing something.

So anyway, with the trouble this is causing I am considering just taking
the whole thing off and doing a disc brake conversion. I won't be doing
it myself. I'll hire this done. My family has been going to this one guy
for a couple years now and we trust him. He said that he hasn't done
this kind of thing with a scirocco before but he has done disk
conversions. What is different in doing this with a scirocco compared
to... anything else? Also I am buying the parts so, what parts do I need
exactly? There is a vw junk yard in town and a couple more generic yards.

--
	--Jacob Hawes
Cars: