Waterwagens Adventure

(replies within)
On 8:28 pm 08/01/06 "Gordy Stedman" <ydrogs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally got some free time so I thought I would share my experience
> up in Washington.  After putting Rot, my 79, back together from a
> frantic rattle can paint job on Saturday, since the roller paint job
> came out like crap, we took off Sunday morning.

Sounds like a typical pre show deal eh? Amazing the stuff you get done when
the crunch is on!

 Not enough time to
> get my copper 79 going due to rusty fuel tank.  Was running a little
> late but easily made up some time at 4000 rpms in 5th gear.

What sort of tranny is in that car? My daughter kept telling me to shift in
her car, I'd gotten very used to hearing a lot of high rpm screaming with
all that seat time in Klaus. 4K at 4K baby...

 Anyways got some trials
> in and dialed in a 16.29.  Kind of slow I thought for a 3A - 8V with
> cam, exhaust, ported intake, etc.  But I also had everything in the
> car that I normally would including tools, spare tire and jack and
> did not remove the heavy stuff like seats and bumpers.  Was really
> only trying to see how fast my car is on an every day basis.  Made it
> to the semi finals and eliminated myself with a 16.22 run.

Best way to get taken out, to break out. And what were your RTs/ 60 fts
like? Loaded up, that's not too bad, and I imagine it was hot/humid too?

I really
> enjoyed dragging and recommend it to anyone who has ever wanted to
> try it.

Well, for those comiong to track day, there is drag racing too, so give it
a spin. We've sure had fun on the strip.

<random snippage>  I met a cool guy,
, who had
> a black 16V Scirocco with a 1.8T in it.  Car was phenomenal looking
> and FAST, low 13s might have gotten in the 12s but was not watching
> the entire time.  When he was doing some of his last runs there was
> this loud backfire when he shifted from 1st to 2nd but it did not
> seem to be too bad since he kept going.  His last run there was the
> back fire and then nothing.  He coasted down the track and exited.
> Something went way wrong which sucks because that car rocked.  Hope
> the bust was not too bad and he can be back and running soon.

Sounds like a purpose built engine to me, backfires are common on fast
turbo drag FWD cars, and I bet he's got a good garage of support behind
that car if it was that fast. He'll be back. Sometimes "semi-reliable"
takes a few disasters at that kind of speed, from what I've seen anyways.
Must be a case of break and upgrade. Reminds me, I've not seen our little
yellow 11 second MkI this year. It broke a LOT.

ANyway, thanks for the report! I enjoyed it. Pictures of that leather
interior by chance?
Cathy