Remove crank pulley?

On Apr 21, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Ron Pieper wrote:

> Sometimes that one rusts to the timing belt pulley and is a beetch
> to get off.  Maybe a touch of
> heat now...?  Careful in applying force because if you pry is, the
> only thing you can do is bend
> the shite out of it.  Iffn you do, I may have a spare, but lets
> avoid that.  Try using a piece of
> round stock as a punch into the flat face of it near the bolt holes
> - whack it moderately hard
> many times.  The rust bond can break and off it comes.
>
> Upon reassembly, clean and paint everthing, and all a smear of
> antisieze or Permatex #2 (the
> smelly brown non-RTV stuff) to the surfaces.
>
> HTH

Yes, thanks.  That's what I thought might be the deal.  I've bathed
it in Kroil, and will let it soak for a while.

So the Force vector is mainly to break that rust bond?

I  <3 working on my car.  It just shows me what a 98-lb weakling
trapped in a 198-lb body I am.

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       94 Passat GLX                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 88 Scirocco  16V              |