Timing a rebuilt motor - initial settings was: My Brand New JH needs major help

--- Shawn Falzarano <falzsf@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Well I finally put my new JH engine together
> and installed it into my rocco.
> It is a 1.8 8v; complete rebuild with bored
> out cylinders and a completely rebuild head.
>
> Bad new is it wont fire. I believe I put the
> cams on backwards so the marks are not in
> the right place.
>
> If anyone can verify that at TDC both valves
> should be closed and the rotor at the #1 spark
> plug (labeled cylinder #1 at pulley side
> of the engine and #4 at tranny side)
>
> Also the first time I tried to start it the
> cylinders filled with fuel. Could this be
> cause but the cylinders being way out of timing?
>
> Needles to say I had to get all the fuel out &
> change the oil.  Now I am double checking things.
> I have had it sitting for 4 years and I am
> forgetting a lot of things.
>
> Any help would be great.

Well, my Bentley is missing the motor section but I am
in the same boat so to speak; I am starting a motor I
swapped heads on and need to verify the timing between
the crank, the intermediate shaft (distributor), and
the head/ cam shaft.

I'm not at home at the moment to verify with my
eyeballs whether you are correct about the valves, but
one thing I know- you cant put an 8v cam in backwards
very easily.

I'll see if I can put together a follow up with the
top ten (10?) tips to starting a rebuilt/retimed
motor. All contributors welcome.

TBerk