Cold Weather Question

Thanks to all for your advise! I've responded to each of you below.

Rick Kellner wrote:
> usually run Mobil 1 in my cars and one of the
> benefits is that it will crank over in the dead of
> winter like it was July.

I'll be running on a fresh batch of Mobil 1 0Wsomething or 5wsomething.

Allyn wrote:
> I wouldn't chance factory ground / starter cables
> to such weather, even on an 8v.

I've never had a problem with this before, and if needed for the <100 hours
I'll be above the artic circle I'll just augment the ground/starter with
jumper cables.

Dud? de Nord wrote:
> I run Castrol Syntech 5W50 all year round. 5W30 is good too.

I've always been a Mobil 1 guy, and will do a similar grade of Mobil 1.

> Test your antifreeze/coolant so it is known to be good
> at -30 -40.

I'm going to flush it and put a good mix in before heading west.

> A good thermostat is important or else you'll
> freeze driving the car.

I have never had a problem with mine all should be well. Getting stuck
somewhere is of more concern then me freezing. Last weekend I bought $300
worth of ?ber-cold weather gear just in case. Don't forget I don't really
get cold either! It is the Scirocco that I worry about!

> A cardboard in front of the rad helps too.

GREAT idea! Will do.

> Graphite for the locks is a good idea. Have some lock
> deicers handy too. Not fun to be locked out of the car
> in the morning.

Do all of the locks freeze at once or am I likely to see only one of them
frozen? Will my internal ~0.5l capacity of warm lock-unfreezing fluid help?

> Too much grease in the door mecanism is not fun. Once you open
> the door, it is bad to discover that it can't close because it
> is frozen.

Got it.

> Have -40 degrees windshield washer. New winter wipers are not
> a bad idea either.

My windshield washer has never worked. However, I have a brand new Bosch
wiper, Rain-X and Windex handy.

> Excellent battery, I'd say less than three years old.

I have a very good battery and will do a slow trickle charge to it for 12
hours before leaving. If I screw up and leave the lights on overnight or
something stupid like that along the way I'm just going buy a new battery
somewhere.

> Grounding/electrical in good working order.

Check. Will augment with jumper cables if needed while in the far north.

> Don't run low on gas. I always like to keep the tank half
> full ,or half empty depending on your personality, as it
> prevents moisture in the tank, and frozen gas lines. Gas
> antifreeze is good to have with the car.

I plan on filling up at every station I come across. There is one 239 mile
(385 km) stretch of no services along the way. I'll be carrying an extra few
gallons of fuel just in case.

Another thing I've been reading is the fuel quality is terrible up north.
I'm going to bring a case of octane boost with me.

> The air aux. valve and the 5th injector are your best friends
> for a good cold start. What else? Sheesh, spring is *just* starting
> up here, and here I am giving winterize tips...

Yeah! Funny, huh!

> '71 H-D FLH

A new arrival in the stable?

Unibroue gal wrote:
> I'm a big fan of block heaters (though I have a love/hate
> thing going with my current one). It just seems so much
> more humane to start them with warmed oil...

I'm not installing one just for this trip. :-(

> And maybe get one of those portable starter packs to keep
> warm by your bedside, just in case it's grouchy starting
> one morning, you'll have an easy backup plan.

I'm not a big fan of those but I may borrow one from a local friend just in
case. (Thanks for the offer Tonee)

> And what areyour tires like?

Pretty good. I'm carrying two full sized spares with me that will be snow
tires.

> Seriously, you likely won't have any problems, the
> Cabby's always been a happy starter. Oh! Stay out of
> the carwash unless it's warm, your locks and seals will
> freeze up. (and lube up your door handles...)

Got it, no car wash until I'm back into the warm areas for good!

John C. Worden wrote:
> 0 degrees is nothing. I'm guessing you are from a
> warmer state?

I'm from Philadelphia, PA. Single digit temps are only seen ~5 days every 5
years down here.

> The coldest I've seen in here in Maine -30 and the car
> started up with no problem(a little slow cranking, but it
> was damned cold).  We regularly get below zero temps in the
> winter and VWs handle it just fine-it would be different if
> you were going to northern Alaska in the middle of winter
> though.

I'm going to northern Alaska 2/3 of the way into spring, not the middle of
the winter. With some caution and precautions the car and I should be just
fine!

Right now it is -15 degrees F / -26 degrees C at the northernmost point in
my trip. Hopefully it will get warmer so I can enjoy the place! The days are
already 16.25 hours long and getting 9.5 minutes longer each day.

The longest day in Prudhoe Bay, AK is 63 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes with the
official Sunrise: at 12:09 AM on the 20th of May and the official sunset at
11:48 PM on the 22nd of July. Unfortunately I will be in and out of there
before this happens, but not by long.

-Marc